Interview

Karen Gergs is a 19 year old living in NYC. She was born in Egypt and moved to the US in 2019. In this interview we learn about her upbringing and how she grew up to be the person she is today.

Where are you from?

I am from Alexandria, Egypt.

If you can envision yourself in five years, what would your life be like?

In five years, I probably will have finished college and got my master’s degree in finance. I guess I will also be taking a real estate course, I am still not sure. I hope I will be able to go back and visit Egypt by that time because I miss everything and everyone there.

Who is the most influential person in your life?

I guess it is hard for me just to choose one influential person in my life. I have always been the person to pay attention to what everyone around me is doing, and I try to get influenced by the good things they do. You could say I get mostly influenced by my friends because I spend more time with my friends than with my family. 

What is your passion?

My passion is art in all of its different forms. I have the ability to draw, but I barely draw anymore unless I have to for an assignment, for example. Other than that, I love listening to music, and that’s all I do in my free time, but unfortunately, I don’t know how to play any instrument. I also love going to museums to enjoy their environment that is filled with beautiful paintings and sculptures. 

In your poem, you name-dropped a few people; Nermin, Micheal, and Mark. What do these people mean to you?

They are my family, Nermin is my mother, Michael is my father, and Mark is my young brother. I can’t really tell if I am close to my family or not because I wouldn’t talk to any of them if I am feeling upset about something. I would instead talk to any of my friends because I feel like they understand me more than my family does. However, I love them because I would be nowhere if it weren’t for them sacrificing everything for my brother and me.  

In your poem, you talk about generosity and selflessness. How Do these words resonate with you?

My parents have taught me to be generous and selfless. For example, whenever a family member gave me money when I was young or when I started working and getting paid, they always told me to give back some of that money by donating it to the church or buying something for my young brother as a nice gesture. I also love helping people, especially when they actually need help.

How would you describe yourself in one word, and why?

I would probably choose the word “straightforward” because I would rather tell people the truth and what I really feel than manipulate the truth or reality. I also feel like I would be fake or a hypocrite if I agree to something that I don’t believe in just because I am scared of what others will think.

How did moving to the US impact your life?

Moving to the United States has changed my perspective about many things. I became more open-minded, and I have learned to become responsible by managing time between work, college, and my life. It definitely made me more sociable and opened my eyes to the different cultures surrounding me. 

How did growing up in Egypt influence your life?

Growing up in Egypt was tough for me, especially because I am a girl who lives in a male-dominated society, so I didn’t have much freedom. I was always worried that something might happen to me when I had to walk somewhere, which still makes me paranoid. Living in Egypt for 16 years has also made me strict about my school grades. I didn’t really have much fun back there because 75% of the year, I was stuck at home studying or at school learning, and I didn’t even enjoy the rest of the year because I couldn’t go out as much with my friends.

In your poem, you say, “I am from fasting half of the year”. Can you explain how you fast as a Coptic Orthodox Christian?

We fast about 55% of the year. We have many different fasts throughout the year and two major ones for Easter and Christmas. Throughout our fast, we are not allowed to eat any dairy or animal products, so we basically only eat vegetarian food. We are not allowed to eat seafood besides the meat and chicken for some fasts.

How does your passion Relate to what you want to do in the future?

You could say that there is no relationship between my future and my passion since what I want to do is finance, and my passion is art. However, I might design my own house and add artistic pieces to its decor.

To close it off, how did all of your obstacles make you who you are today as a person?

I have never actually thought about the answer to that question, but I guess I had become more defensive about the gender stereotypes because I always hated when my father allowed my brother to do things that I couldn’t do. After all, he is a guy, and I am not. I have also learned to defend myself if anyone insults me or my religion or country because I have met people who have no respect for others. They love to make rude comments because they disagree with others’ beliefs and thoughts. I also learned to put myself first when it comes to work or education because, during the previous semester, I just couldn’t handle it anymore, and I was mentally and emotionally drained. Hence, I just quit my job to focus on my education and my life.